James Owen of Penrhos

and his descendants

Ill health & death

When they first moved back to Vancouver Island Frank,and Amy lived in an old apartment block in McClure Street, Victoria, for about a year but by the time Gwyn returned from war service they had moved into a nice flat in a private home on Mount Tolmie (map), just behind the Normal School; Mount Tolmie is the highest point in the area with splendid views over Victoria and the surrounding countryside. In 1948 Gwyn and Frank built the only house that Frank could ever call his own, on the corner of Wordsworth Street and McRae Avenue in the Shelbourne Valley, about a mile south of Saanich (map).

It appears to have been a more settled time for Frank but then he spent over a year on a project for a new Masonic Temple in downtown Victoria and Gwyn felt his father was shamefully let down when the Masonic Society broke faith and refused him out of pocket expenses and his professional fees to say nothing of financial commitments made on their behalf before finally abandoning the scheme. This was Frank's last architectural project; he resigned from the B.C. Architectural Society.

Amy was making her last long journey to visit her brothers and sisters in Toronto in the winter of 1950 when Frank suffered a heart attack from which he never fully recovered. He and Amy moved into a series of small apartments and boarding houses in Victoria; 30 South Turner Street, the Glensheil Hotel and the Roccabella. Frank had another minor stroke in 1955 and in June of that year he fell and broke his hip. He was taken to the Jubilee Hospital and was transferred after two weeks to Resthaven Hospital in Sidney. He died there on 16 July 1955 from static pneumonia. He is buried in Holy Trinity churchyard (map) at Patricia Bay.

Amy was in need of more and more attention and after Frank’s death she moved into a nursing home. She died on 9 November 1957 at St. Mary’s Priory, Colwood (map). She was buried next to her husband.