James Owen of Penrhos

and his descendants
Click on picture for enlargement

Move back to Vancouver Island

Frank Owen in old age In the winter of 1943 opportunities for architects seemed to be improving on the West Coast and they decided to move back to all the friends they had there. No sooner had Frank arrived than he contracted pleurisy, which necessitated a stay in hospital. Two weeks later Amy made the long journey to join him in two stages. Her condition demanded daily treatment and changes of her dressings.

One of Frank's early projects was the church of St. David-by the-Sea, Cordiva Bay (on the corner of Cordiva Bay Road Sutcliffe Road & now (2010) scheduled for closure). The history is described at this site (number 62) which shows a picture of the original building Frank designed and another of how it looks now, dominated by a more modern part of the church, designed by architect Donald McPherson, which was added in 1979. According to this site, Frank, at that time, worked around the province on government buildings for the Department of Public Works. In 1944 a meeting of Cordova Bay women was held where it was agreed to form an Anglican Woman's Guild and fund raising began for the building of a women's church which Frank designed and on which building began in 1947. The original British Arts and Crafts-inspired building is a steeply pitched, front-gabled structure with narrow double-hung windows with multi-paned glazing.

His son also stated that Frank designed the war memorial at Cattle Point, Oak Bay. However, according to this website: Municipal Engineer ASG Musgrave oversaw the project and sculptor, James Saull, a former Canadian Airman, who made his home in Victoria after the war, was chosen to design the monument. Using his wife as the model, Saull created the sculpture in concrete. Frank's brother, Reginald, designed the war memorial at Euston but did not design the four bronze figures at its base; perhaps Frank designed the basic structure of the Cattle Point memorial in which Saull's sculpture was incorporated. The memorial was unveiled on Armistice Day, 1948.

Frank's designs also included the church of St. Mary the Virgin in Oak Bay though only the sanctuary, which now serves as a chapel, was built to his plans due to spiralling costs and a Non-Conformist church on Cook Street, Victoria, just north of Pandora Avenue. Here are some of the projects Frank undertook and here is a map showing their location (marked in red).