James Owen of Penrhos

and his descendants
Click on picture for enlargment

Eyton Pritchard Owen (1868-1950)

Eyton P Owen Glanogwen School Elijah and Elizabeth Owen's third child, Eyton Pritchard Owen, was born at the National School House Glanogwen, Bethesda, (right) on 21 November 1868. He almost certainly attended that school before the family moved to Anglesey in the mid-1970s where he and his brothers attended Beaumaris School (bottom right). He told a good friend of his that at church in Anglesey he and his brothers would sometimes drop down and crawl around the church under the pews, a practice he himself would have frowned on in later life.

Beaumaris School He went to Durham University where, according to the census, he studied Theology. For a while, he considered becoming a clergyman, like his father and others of the Owen family. He was a keen sportsman, a brilliant fullback at both football and hockey, and he particularly enjoyed sailing, a love he shared with his brother Reginald. They had ample opportunity to sail during their childhood in Anglesey.

After he graduated he spent some time as an assistant master at Waterloo High School. Whilst there he won a gold medal from the Liverpool Shipwreck and Humane Society (see report & medal) A report in the North Wales Chronicle (29 October 1893) describes the presentation made at the school in which it was stated that only one gold medal was awarded each year, though several silver medals may be awarded: "In the present instance the committee thought that the gallentry exhibited was exceptionally creditable, and they unanimously decided to award the gold medal (applause), for saving one of three boys swept out to sea while swimming in the Mersey at Crosby on 27th July 1893 (map). He was a good horseman and he was very keen to enlist in the Yeomanry at the outbreak of the Boer War. His cousin Llewellyn Issac Gethin Morgan-Owen had gone out to fight in South Africa as a regular soldier in the South Wales Borderers in June 1900. However, Eyton was not tall enough to be accepted and I was told that he and a great friend Dr. James Bradley Hughes decided to pay their own passage to South Africa. On 5 January 1901 Eyton set sail from Southampton to Natal aboard SS Carisbrook Castle.