James Owen of Penrhos

and his descendants

[Halbert Peter Gray Tyson Glendinning (1921 - 2011) cntd]

Peter switched to field guns and went to Italy to join a field regiment armed with 25-pounders. He was almost as far north as the Po valley when the whole Division was sent to Greece to suppress communist activity. When the communists occupied the Parthenon, it was suggested that his regiment be called upon to blast them out; not surprisingly the suggestion was rejected. In about 1946, after four years overseas, he was posted to Germany where, according to Peter, he just sat about. Stationed almost on the Russian border, his unit's main occupation was to prevent the Russians crossing the border and pilfering their supplies

On demobilisation and much against the wishes of his father Peter spent a year as a pupil farmer at a farm institute near Leicester. He then had various jobs on farms before, in 1951, buying a 55-acre dairy farm “Gors Fach” at Capel Dewi by the river Towy, near Carmarthen. After selling the farm in 1957 he travelled about the country on a 1000cc motorbike working for an agency that provided temporary cover for farmers from Dorset to Perth. At the age of forty he decided he should settle down and he applied for the Civil Service; the exams were daunting after so many years. He went to work for the Statistical Office of Customs and Excise at Holborn, London, producing monthly trade statistics more for the DTI than for Custom & Excise. While working in London, he lived at the Hills Hotel in Prince’s Square but when his department was transferred to Southend he moved with it.

There, through the Heather Jenner Marriage Bureau, he met Constance Lutra Hope Stanier (1933 – 1982), known as Hope. She was a trained nursery nurse and very much wanted to have children of her own. They were married on 13 September 1969 at Richard’s Castle, Shropshire. Hope came from a wealthy family (the name Lutra (Latin for ‘otter’) came from the fact that her father was master of the otter hounds). Her mother insisted on a very grand wedding. Peter was forty-eight. In 1970, after the birth of their two sons, they moved to a house in Shoeburyness.

Tragically, Hope died from cancer on 13 December 1982 aged forty-nine. The children were so young that Peter decided to retire to look after them. Things were quite difficult financially but he did qualify for a Civil Service pension. Once the boys had left home, Peter retained his interest in fly-fishing, making his own flies and for many years visiting a farm in Radnorshire (now Powys) to fish for trout. He also enjoyed dabbling in the Stock Exchange, playing chess (mainly against the computer) and keeping the birds in his back garden well supplied with food. After a long and fulfilling life Peter died on 27 May 2011.