James Owen of Penrhos

and his descendants

Elijah's Obituary

The report in the North Wales Chronicle, Saturday, March 3, 1894. Page 7. continues:

Mr Owen graduated at Trinity College, Dublin, B.A. in 1873, M.A. in 1878. He was ordained by Bishop Campbell of Bangor in 1875 to the curacy of Penmon and Llanfaes, which he filled for thirteen years. He was priested in 1876. During all the years he was thus associated with the Rev. T. Warren Trevor, he was indefatigable in the discharge of his duties, and by his genial disposition and amiability of character endeared himself to all who knew him. In 1888 he was presented by the then patron, Mr W. H. Hughes, of Plas Llangoed, to the living of Llangoed with Llan¬iestyn and Llanfihangel Tyn Silwy, parishes contiguous to his former scene of work, so that to the end of his life the ties of friendship between him and the people of Penmon and Llanfaes remained unbroken. In undertaking the onerous duties inseparable from the care of three country parishes, without any assistant, Mr Owen showed the same energy and high sense of duty as had characterised him both before and in after life. He was a constant worker, in season and out of season, esteemed by the rich and beloved by the poor, to whom he was ever a kind and sympathetic friend. He knew every member of his flock by name and had a pleasant word for everybody. Indeed it is wonderful how even his strong frame could bear so long the strain of untiring work, mental as well as physical, for in addition to his parochial duties, he spent much of his spare time in literature, and in archaeological research; some quaint stories of bye-gone days forming no mean part of his literary productions.   >>