Beatrice Marion Owen
Edwin and Jessie's daughter Beatrice Marion Owen, who became known as Trixi, was born in Maker, Cornwall, in 1889 [St Germane 1889, 3rd qt]. She was educated at Dr Willis's School for girls in Dolgelley, where she won at least one prize in form II [Towyn-on-sea & Meirioneth County Times, 14 Nov. 1901]. Another honour bestowed upon her was reported in the Cambrian News and Merionethshire Standard, 20 June 1902 (Northern):
BRITHDIR VICARAGE.— On Wednesday, June 18th, Mrs Richards, of Caerynwch, Mrs Adams, of Dolgelley, and Miss Trixie Owen, daughter of the Vicar (the Rev Edwin J. Owen), laid the foundation stones of the new vicarage of St. Martin's Church, Brithdir. The vicarage is to be built with Tyddynygarreg stone and roofed with Aberllefenni slate and has been designed by Mr Richard Hall, architect, Bangor.
In about 1907, Trixie became engaged to an Irishman, John Robert Conway Fitzgerald Day (b 3 Nov 1877), from Co. Kerry. 'JRC', as he was known, had an interesting history. His ancestors left England to settle in Ireland in about 1700. Granted lands in Kerry, Edward Day, probably erected their first home, Lohercannon House, in Tralee. He had descendants who became prominent members of the Protestant church. His son, Rev. John Day, inherited Lohercannon on his marriage to Lucy Fitzgerald, daughter of Maurice, Knight of Kerry (pdf file). Rev. John Robert Fitzgerald Day, the eldest son of their son Judge Robert Day (1745-1841), married Lucy Jane, daughter of Ven. William Thompson, Archdeacon of Cork, and he purchased Beaufort House near Killarney (1847) where he lived until his death (1881). His son, Robert John Fitzgerald Day, J.P., Lt. 75th Regt., married (15 Sept 1870) Jane Sarah Victoria Hickson, from another distinguished Irish line (lineage or lineage but OCR transcription has caused misleading line spacings and errors, eg. 'Ovens' for 'Owens', in both). Robert died intestate (15 March 1883) in a fall from his horse. JRC was Robert’s eldest son and heir but Robert's estate, which included Beaufort House, depreciated in value during the eleven years it was held in chancery. In 1891 John was staying with his grandmother, Lucy Jane Day, and two of his maiden aunts, Henrietta and Emma, at 'Curran', Southcote Road, Christchurch, Hants. I was told he then spent some time in India with his younger brother, Richard Francis O'Hara Fitzgerald Day, helping a relation to run a tea plantations. (Beatrice's uncle, Augustus Frederick Paterson was a tea planter in India in the 1890s. Interestingly - see next pages - he subsequently became a rubber planter in Batu Gujah, Perak, Malaya, where he died in 1933.) JRC returned from India in about 1900 after Richard had been murdered.