James Owen of Penrhos

and his descendants

Antiquarian works (cntd)

Elias also published a 'Glossary of Montgomery', in the Montgomeryshire Collections, (1891). He edited The Works of the Rev. Griffith Edwards (Gutyn Padarn), M.A., F.RH.S. (Messrs Woodall, Minshall, and Co., 1895). The latter consists of a parochial history of Llangadfan, Garthbeibio, and Llanerfyl, with Welsh and English poetry and includes much archaeological information. Rev. Edwards (1812-93), late vicar of Liangadfan, was a noted Welsh poet and a fellow graduate of Trinity College Dublin.

Elias was a regular contributor to many other antiquarian journals, including Archaeologia Cambrensis, of which he was a local secretary for Shropshire for some years, The Antiquary, The Reliquary, and for many years he wrote articles anonymously to the Ruthin School Magazine on subjects of local antiquarian interest. He was a highly valued, long-standing contributor to the 'Bye-Gones' column in The Oswestry Advertiser . According to The North Wales Chronicle he was contemplating publishing some of his own sermons at the time of his death and intending to write a history of his native parish of Llandysilio. At that time he was engaged in writing a work on The Holy Wells of North Wales which his son Thomas Edward Owen proposed to complete. The unfinished manuscript is preserved in the National Library of Wales, as are copies of Elias's other works.    >>

The articles by Rev. Elias Owen published in the Ruthin School Magazine between 1888 and 1891 are transcribed in the following pages: