On 14 Apr 1923 Idris married Anna (aka Nan) Hay in District of Columbia, USA. She and her parents were all natives of Pennsylvania. Idris and Anna may have worked together at Lazarus Bros. in Wilkes-Barre, Pa.; this was a large department store, famous for its lavish window displays. In the 1930 census Idris Robert and Anna Hay Jones, were living in N Queen Street, York City, Pennsylvania. I believe he was a bond (the word is not clear) salesman. The census indicates that they were renting.
In 1942 Idris was one of the many air-raid wardens in York, Pa. and that was the year of his WWII registration in which he was described as five feet one inch tall (he had shrunk since WWI!), weighed approximately 140 pounds and had grey eyes, grey hair and a ruddy complexion; he was working at the State Capitol, Harrisburg, Dauphin, with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Bureau of Motor Vehicles. He and Anna were renting at 49 North Queen St, York, where they lived for many years. Several newspaper reports suggest he dealt in property. In fact, in 1940 both he and Anna were listed in the state records as a licensed real estate brokers and salesmen working for Mt. Rose Cemetery Corp. of 36 E. Market St., York.
Idris was a staunch Republican, just as his father had been. As well as contributing to Republican funds there are many references to his roles within the party. In 1940 both he and Anna were Republican state Registrars, involved in registering people who wished to vote [The Gazette and Daily, 15 March & 14 Sep 1940]. In 1943 Idris was treasurer of the campaign committee for the Republican candidates; he held the position of treasurer of the York county Republican committee for many years. In 1950 he was nominated, unopposed, by the York county Republican committee to be their Chairman [The Evening Sun, 26 August 1950, p1]. On 14 November that year Idris was appointed register of wills and clerk of the orphans court by Gov. James H. Duff on the death of the incumbent. He chose his own team to work under him and at 9 a.m. on the 24th they arrived at the court house to take over [The Evening Sun, 24 Nov 1950 p1].