James Owen of Penrhos

and his descendants

Morgan Olden Smith (cntd.)

In 1920 Morgan was working as a hired man and living on the farm of Martin and Bertha Fishel in East Hopewell, midway between Delta and York, Pennsylvania. After attending Atlantic City High School Morgan, completed four years at Cornell University and was a member of the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity; he was 'pledged' and 'initiated' in 1925. "Beta-Theta presents the following initiates: Morgan Olden Smith, of Atlantic City, N. J., who was acting captain, and won his numerals in freshman football last fall" [The Shield And Diamond, May 1925, XXXIV, 3, p 392] He graduated in 1929.

Morgan was back living with his mother in the 1930 census; her name was entered as "Eleanor E. Smith" and they were renting their home at 9 Nashville Ave, Ventnor City, Atlantic, New Jersey. Morgan was a manager for a "rolling chain" company. It could be that Morgan supplied the information for the census; as well as Emma’s Christian names being switched (though it may be she had become known as Eleanor rather than Emma), her age at the time and age at marriage were incorrect.

In 1936 Morgan (Jr) married Dylis N Evans, the daughter of Lewis Powell Evans and Sarah (née Gwynne). Dylis was born in Cardiff, Wales [Cardiff 1913, 3rd qt] - the entry in the General Register is 'Dilys N Evans' but most subsequent references spell her first name 'Dylis' - and in 1911 her family had been living at 13 Florence Street, Splott, Cardiff; her father had been an analyst in the steelworks. He brought his family to America, arriving at New York aboard the Adriatic on 17 July 1922. In 1930 they had been living at 13 North Quincy Avenue, Margate City, Atlantic, New Jersey.

In 1940 Morgan was still working as a manager and was living with his British wife, Dylis N Smith, aged twenty-six, and their eight-month old son in South Ventnor Avenue, Ventnor City. Morgan may have studied accountancy when he was at La Salle University and in 1942 began working for Johnson and Johnson in New Brunswick as a systems and methods analyst and then as general auditor for seven years. He became a member of the prestigious professional society, the Institute of Internal Auditors, for which he was a technical speaker and writer. In 1953 he was promoted to assistant controller, taking charge of the company's accounting and tabulating and directing its internal audit. Three years later, the family was living at 941 Kensington Avenue, New Jersey and Morgan became comptroller of Ethicon Inc., Somerville, N.J.. At the same time he was vice president of the local Raritan Valley Chapter of the National Association of Cost Accountants. The following year he became treasurer at Ethicon, becoming its director of marketing research in 1960 and vice president, finance, three years later.