(Maggie) Gwendoline Jones
The second daughter of John and Louisa Jones, (Maggie) Gwendoline Jones, was born in 1889 at Minera Schoolhouse [Wrexham 1889, 4th qtr], which was where the family was living in 1891 (map 4). Her son thought she had an uncle who taught there; in fact the schoolmaster there in 1891 was John William Owen who in 1895 would marry Louisa’s sister, Miriam. Maggie then spent part of her childhood living at Trevor School near Llangollen with her family and an uncle, probably James Pritchard Shelby who taught there for a while. She was known as Gwen and was a milliner; at one time she worked for her aunts, Margaret Jane Shelby and Sarah Ann Shelby. I am told she had a milliner’s shop in Wrexham. After Gwen’s marriage to Harold Arthur Alfred Gill in 1916 [reg Wrexham 1916, 1st qtr] she continued to make hats at home and also made all her own dresses. Harold was two years her junior and was born at Aberkenfig near Bridgend [Bridgend 1892, 1st qt], the son of one of the top GWR engine drivers, Harry Alfred Gill, who regularly drove a train from Bristol to London and, after a short break, on to Chester. He lost an eye when he went to the aid of a fireman on one of the locomotives, after which he became foreman of the Wrexham Shed.
Gwen and Harold rented a house, 62 Spring View Road, Rhosddu, from Timothy Morgan Owen Shelby and Gwen's parents lived with them. As General Manager of Turners wholesale/retail store in Lord Street, Wrexham, at the time one of the largest in North Wales, Harold was a well-known figure in Wrexham. He was a keen golfer, one time captain of his golf club, and a regular supporter of Wrexham FC. Gwen used to attend St. James’s church in Rhosddu, whilst Harold was a sidesman at Wrexham Parish Church. Harold died in 1952, aged 60 [Wrexham 1952, 4th qt] and Gwen died in 1968 [Wrexham 1968, 2nd qtr].
Gwen and Harold had one son who married Freda McRobert Simpson (1923-1992). There are living descendants.